Friday, May 29, 2009

Here We Go Again

I know I haven't written much about my training lately, but there have been too many good diabetes stories not to share! I've been trying to get back my tight control, and in that process lows happen. Shit happens, lows happen! Here comes another good story.

I was in the grocery store, collecting ingredients to make my Mom's birthday cake. (Yes, this is another grocery store anecdote) Beautiful cake by the way...one of my best to date. I picked up a bag of marshmallows, which will help with the theme of the cake. As I'm walking to the checkout with my yellow cake mix, and marshmallows it hits me like a brick in the face. The confusion, lightheadedness, and the sweating....ohhhh the sweating! I fish through the purse to find my glucose tabs, and of course the container was empty. Of course!! I buy a real soda in the checkout line and head to my car. My plan as always is to drink only half of the soda...which I did. As I sat in my car waiting for all the symptoms to pass and get the "all clear" blood sugar reading from my meter, I proceed to open the bag of marshmallows. "I'm only going to eat the 4 that is the serving size. All people with diabetes can attest to the fact that when having a low all logic goes out the window, and the involuntary urge to put your hand in the bag and keep eating is just that...involuntary. When I finally get to feeling better, I glanced down at the bag and to my shock I ate about 2/3 of the bag!! Crap...here we go again...over-correction.

I put in an emergency call to my friend Michelle. I knew what I had to do, but sometimes having a back-up to agree or disagree with your plan of attack is comforting. At this point I'm laughing...she's laughing. Then I send her the photo of the evidence. Hilarity ensues again! I checked my bg while I had her on the phone to find it only in the 200's. We decide that I had around 100 carbs, but I only bolused for 50 and rode it out. Riding bg's out is the only way to do it sometimes. I checked my bg a couple of hours later and now it was in the low 300's. Not too bad considering. I bolused again and all was good again!

So what happened with the cake?? The original theme for it proved to be too time consuming, so the marshmallows weren't needed. Of course they weren't needed!! Of course! I threw out the remnants of the bag as it made me sick to look at it, and I've chalked it up to another hilarious diabetes event.

p.s. I got in the car the next day and found a stray marshmallow and was sick with laughter all over again.

1 comment:

Scott K. Johnson said...

I am SO in touch with this! I have the hardest time not over treating lows!