Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm Not Obsessed!

No really I'm not!
Ok...I am, but not with triathlon.(Others may say different on that!) I'm obsessed with numbers. Everything related to diabetes deals with numbers. Meter readings, carb counting, insulin dosing....and of course lets not forget that good ol' HbA1C test. That one really stinks. I hate it! Not the actually blood draw to get it, but the number that is the result. For those of you non-diabetics, this is a test that averages your blood sugars over 3 months...then attaches a percentage to it. I've been as low as 5%..which is great...and as high as 12 when I was just diagnosed. I'm now hovering in the 7's. Mind you this is not a bad number at all...but forever the prefectionist...I want it lower! Now.....I like to blame this number on the disappearance of the Dexcom. (I had to quit using it because the sensors are so damn expensive.) That was, and is a saving grace for the bg's. I guess it just kept me "honest" on my day to day control. BUT....also gave me more numbers to obsess about. In a way I like not using it for that reason, and that reason only. It gives me a little holiday I guess.

So while at the doc this week I got ALL my blood work done....more numbers. But wait...there is a light at the end of this tunnel! I couldn't ask for better cholesterol numbers. Let's just say that the lab guy giving my results to me on the phone couldn't believe it...."I've never seen values like these! What are you doing??" A few details later and I've forgotten about the A1C.

It's come to this....if there was any question why I do the things I do...obsess about the things I obsess about...the answer would be all the benefits I get from it! In more ways then one!

No comments: