Monday, July 21, 2008

A Sign From The Universe

Do I take it as a hint, or what? My scheduled long brick was quickly abbreviated by rain...and a lot of it!! But not before my friend Dana and I got a good hour in. She teaches spin class at the gym I use to belong to and needed to have the legs, and time to get there, so she was only going to half my distance. Any company on a ride is welcome no matter how long they can be with you! Plan A was to do an "out & back" with her for 25 miles, then I would do it again by myself. Then Plan B was implemented when I realized that I would have to do that monster of a hill twice. Hadley Hill, which we have all grown to have a love/hate relationship with. Yes, I do beleive in hill repeats, but there is a time and place for them, and this ride was not one of those times. The route was hilly enough without adding the monster in.

Since I was expecting to be back at my car, I didn't have my phone, but I did have enough gel, water, and emergency sugar. I felt confident that I was good to go, so Dana and I went our separate ways. At this point it is very cloudy still, very humid, and no rain was on the radar when we left. I figured I was good with the weather too.....until I rode 5 miles into my solo journey. In the words of Emeril..BAM! It really only started out as a sprinkle, which I can totally handle...then quickly turned into a flat out rain. Now I'm pissed off....is the universe trying to tell me something?? A sign that you won't ever be ready, and just hang it up?? This is really the last day of a good brick before the race, and I can't even get the miles in.

Does anyone have that kind of friend that knows you so well?? My uber friend Dana drove back to find me in the rain!!!! She and I both really don't feel safe riding in the rain...especially "new" rain when the pavement in extra slippery. I had 5 miles to go, and have not hit the monster yet, and she asked me if I wanted a ride back to the car. I thought about it, and really just needed to finish what I could, and determined to do it! I gotta tell you, I had a feeling she would show up, and when I saw her I felt a little relieved...even though I wasn't going be her "Driving Miss Nancy". She always has my back...and I have hers!

Up the monster I went, and a nice flat ride back to the car. I changed out of my soaked clothes, and drove home...trying to come up with a plan to salvage my brick. I made it 36 miles out of the 50 I wanted. But what I really wanted was the actual brick....bike straight to the run. Now my legs have rested which makes it very, very different. That damn Universe!! I'd like to tell it a thing or two!!

When I got home the sun was out.....OF COURSE the sun was out! Why would it keep raining after my bike is all packed up in the car and I'm home??!! ARGHHH...that damn Universe!
I changed into run clothes loaded up my waistpack with water/gel/keys/meter and of course the IPod. 10 miles here I come. Watch out Universe, you are not going to stop me now! Great run! The end was tough, but the end always is. My legs were a bit tired throughout, so I did have some effects of the ride...which is good, that is what a brick is all about!!

What is the lesson of the day?? Go with the flow...always have a number of plans in place.....and tell yourself there must be a reason for it all......and best of all you have to laugh. What else can happen right? Thank goodness the bg's were stable and stayed in the 140-170 range. I think the Universe was telling me I needed to run. That's my interpretation and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: