Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Swim Success!!!

These are the simple pleasures in a diabetic triathletes life!
I've been contemplating what to do about the swim for my Half IM. So my diabetes guru, Matt, came up with a solution. Maybe not a solution, but another trial and error to try out!

The problem with long swims using a non-waterproof pump is that you are without insulin for a given length of time. For me, that's around 1-1.5 hours in the pool. I'll say it again...that's just not normal! You can't expect blood sugars to stay in range without some insulin on board. So the solution you ask?? There is a long acting insulin called Levemir, which is new to me since I've been pumping for so long. The idea was to get some insulin on board that will stay on board. I injected 3 units last night around 9PM, then turned my pump WAY down to nothing an hour later. Through the night was perfect.
1AM-119
5AM-woke up, 104
5:30-start swim
5:45-128
6:05-123
6:45-124
Pure perfection! I haven't had number like those during a morning swim...ever I think. Afternoon swims I have, because there is more circulating insulin.
Now it gets funny...after all the a success I get home to a 201. Not quite sure about that one...Matt I'm sure will have answers for me. I bet that Levemir is gone...3 units really is a very small amount.

I'm keeping close tabs on it this morning. Wondering what will happen after breakfast. All and all VERY happy about this!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on Nancy, Matt is truly the guru!

Mike