Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Swim Test #5...

...I think it's the 5th one. The blood sugars are really tightening up with this! My strategy this time was to not have those lows the night before, AND to cut back on the breakfast bolus to prevent the drop after my swim the last time. (I didn't post that one, I should do that!) The nightime bg's haven't been in the 40's kind of low, but 60-70's kind, and I don't want to wake up and race after that! For those of you who don't know this interesting tid bit....lows come in 2's, so the last thing I need is another low before, or during the swim.

Here's a little background on the details I'm going to give next. I was suppose to get up at 5AM to eat, and the alarm went in one ear and out the other. Maybe I was in the middle of a very good dream! By the time I actually heard NPR talking, it was 5:30. I jumped out of bed like I was late for a test, and fix my breakfast. Luckily my race day breakfast I can't cook, because I'll have no kitchen. That makes it easy! This late start means something...trust me, you'll see.

9PM-bg 87..6 units Levemir...25 carbs, so I don't go low during the night.
2:45AM-146
5:40AM-129...47 carbs...3.2 units Humalog...less of a bolus then last time
8AM-244...yep not enough bolus:(
8:45AM-249...not sure 'bout that! Swim start.
9:05-200
9:20-170
9:30-145..swim end.
9:45-hook back to pump
10:15-149
11:10-221....ok that one is curious...I didn't eat anything!

Matt and I have some ideas on what happened.
1. Late start with the swim. The low dose of Levemir may only have an action time of 10 hours. Which I clearly hit during the swim. We think that may be the cause of the high after my swim, since you won't see the effects of lost basal until then.
2. Change my bolus ratio a bit for breakfast to prevent the high.
3. By the looks of the drop during the swim, Matt believes that the basal dose is still circulating. It may have been on it's way out, but still there for the time I needed it.

Solution? Don't wake up late when you are testing something new!:) Going to try one more before race day! I'll make sure I set the alarm to wake the whole house up!

No comments: