Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Logbooks..I Hate Em'

Diabetes and logbooks go hand in hand. I haven't kept a long book in a very long time, because in this day and age downloading stats from blood sugar meters and pumps is so very easy. After yesterdays regular ol' checkup it's apparent people still log...even people who have had diabetes longer then I have.

There are multiple reasons that I love my doctor. The biggest is that he "gets" me. I mean he really, really, gets me. I think that is a huge battle when taking me on as a patient. My A1C has been less then stellar, and has come down this last appointment. I have been trying harder, so it's nice to see those results. May face may have still shown some disappointment, to which Doc starts in on his pep talk. I won't go into it, but he really, REALLY gets me!:)

Doc was playing the good cop...and then bad cop showed it's ugly head! "You said you were going to send me blood sugars last time"...."Uh, yeah, I did didn't I". This is where the Hawthorne effect comes in. "If I send you my log it won't be a true snapshot of what's been going on, because I'll be trying to impress you and do better"....he then gives me that look, like....duh! Ah Ha moment #1. In that moment I realized I haven't been using his knowledge for a long time now. I've been going through the motions, and using him for lab work etc. It gets to a point where you have been living it for so long, you think you can figure it all out on your own. Right! If I could figure it all out, I wouldn't be in this situation. Ah Ha moment #2. I'm now going to take advantage of him!:)

So, I'm back to being a newbie logger. Today is a new day!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Wow! Taking advantage of another man! lol JK

Sooo...you never took me up on my A1C Challenge. Are you leading/coaching by example??? Ok, have I made you feel guilty enough??? You are far better than a majority of people who only see there Dr. when there's a problem. Now's a great time to go back to your goals for the year and practice not beating yourself up! :)

Nancy said...

Thanks for being a cheerleader Mike! I appreciate it VERY much. Yes, no beating myself up...just refocusing my energy. I don't want to say my A1C goal number..at least publicly:) I'll take your bet!:)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Nancy!

I found you from RideToRemedy.

Great post. I too am guilty of not taking advantage of my docs knowledge, and just using him for lab results and prescription refills.

Time to empty my cup and see if there isn't more that I can learn from him and his team!