Thursday, May 08, 2008

No Cheating the Wind Tuesday

My triathlon bike is lighter then my road bike. For obvious reasons. The whole idea of aerobars is to become more aerodynamic right? Cheat the wind, as they say. But what I realized upon my first ride on the Felt a year ago, is that when in that aero position, if the wind is strong enough, you will fly all over the place. You MUST have some considerable core strength to help keep you in line on the road. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my core is pretty solid...so much so I can't put an infusion set there because they pop right out. (Nice problem to have though!) Well, this core strength is only one aspect. If you really want to cheat the wind you must have the legs too. And mine weren't alive...again! Where, oh where have they gone?? Riding has been pitaful, and making me nervous about being ready for Aug 2.
But, as always, when the bg's are good, then the awfulness of a ride is somewhat forgotten.
Here it is:
11:00AM-102, 10gm, no bolus
12:11PM-167, start ride
12:48PM-105, Powergel
1:27PM-127, a few Sport Beans
2:15PM-63...oohhh I'm done now.

Could have fueled up and gone more, but was just frustrated and totally bonked out, so I hung it up!

A wise friend...ok, Tony....sent me a text recently:
"u r trying to hard. just forget about the h.r.(heart rate), cadence, etc and enjoy the ride. riding bikes is fun."
Sometimes I forget that. It really is fun! Trust me I will throw that back at him another time!

1 comment:

~Suzanne~ said...

Wow, you are such an inspiration to so many people with diabetes!! I am still at the point where I am afraid of strenuous exercise because of the lows...it is SOO frustrating. But I suppose the only way to see how my body reacts is to get out there and experiment a bit. Seeing how far you have come helps me to feel as though I can do it, too! Thanks =:~)