Sunday, May 04, 2008

Sore Ego & Other Parts

Don't read this entry if you don't want to hear about the very real problem a cyclist has...saddle issues....in other words..."Oh my ass!"
I rode today. Yep...my backside feels it! Trying to log miles in the saddle is always hard when you have a real job, and are reduced to riding on the weekends, and the occasional day off. Lack of consistent riding equals a sore behind! And when your butt is sore you're slow...because..well...you're just uncomfortable. Which brings me to the sore ego. When people pass you and give you that polite nod of the head...yeah...that's another way of saying I'm faster then you and you'll never catch me....and by the way what are you doing on that bike...you don't deserve that!
I was able to draft a guy for about 5 min....until he caught on and left me hangin'!
It was windy and a bit chilly today, but no excuses for performance! It was just an off day for sure. But an off day of riding/running is better then not!
Here's how it looked:

I got up and ate the breakfast of champions...not Wheaties....my usual, an egg white omelette, one slice of toast, home made yogurt with blueberries and home made granola..and don't forget the coffee. I'm finding that riding later in the day after a full meal is better for the legs and endurance. Not to mention the temperature!
I headed to the park around 11 AM. After a quick stop to load up on some Powergel's, I arrived to find the parking lot full of cyclists. Very common to see on a Sunday. Even more common on a sunny Sunday! I ate a Zone bar on my way there because my sugar was a great 93, but wanted to raise that a bit for the ride. One last check of the bg at 11:30 and I was at 180. This is optimal for me at the beginning of a ride....AND I chose to eat a Zone bar for the protein content...less of a spike at the beginning and I thought it would hold my blood sugars longer.
12:11PM-165
12:48PM-93
Consumed a GU-27gm
1:31PM-112
Out for a short run
End at 2:06PM-96

Pretty perfect I'd say. If I were to have gone any longer I would have taken another GU.

So, as my ass recovers from yet another bumpy ride, I'll go for a long swim tomorrow.

No comments: