Sunday, May 25, 2008

Riding Kind Of Weekend

Yes, yes, yes....let the rides continue! An absolutely gorgeous day, and an absolutely gorgeous ride this morning! I met a bunch of my riding friends at my old stompin grounds. It was a 40 min. drive to get there, but WELL worth the trip. The only awful thing about the morning was the blood sugar of 250 when I woke up. That was way unexpected, and not real sure how that happened...which I will continue to be pissed off about.
I loaded all the gear into the car and headed for Starbucks...I just need that coffee this morning, ok any morning really! I drank and ate my Zone bar on the car ride up. I bolused 2 units, which was half for the food and half for the correction. I, of course, didn't want to drop, and knew the ride would be starting soon, so this was my first bolus guess of the morning. I arrived early...first one there actually...right, a surprise to all of you I'm sure. I layered up a bit more because it freakin cold out! What??? It was suppose to be warmer then the high 30's. I put the leg warmers on, and 3 layers that I hope I can strip off during. (I never did) The 6 of us headed out for a hilly ride. The first 2 headed back after half an hour...they only had an hour to ride. The second 2 turned around after about 12-15 miles. Then there was Steve and I who hammered out 40 miles. Great ride! Nice to be next to Steve again. It was his first ride outside of the season, and he agreed to go for the 40. I figured he would. He paid me a very nice compliment, and said that I was riding stronger then last year. NICE!! That base training is paying off. I ride hard when I'm with him, mostly because I'm trying to keep up. But today....I WAS keeping up, and I wasn't trying so hard to do it. Don't get me wrong, it was still a tough ride, and a challenge, but not so anaerobic.
So the last major hill we hit is very near the end of our ride...and what happens next you ask? Blood sugar 73...and I didn't feel low and wouldn't necessarily at that point, but my legs were feeling a little weak. I really thought it was just miles I was feeling, but no! I downed a bag of Skittles in hopes of getting up that hill. Well...I did, and it wasn't pretty...but I did, with Steve at the top of it waiting to make sure I was ok, and did I need anything. Nothin better then a riding partner who looks out for you. Everyone should have a Steve!
Back to the car....then to Tim Hortons for fuel....home...shower....walk to lunch with Brent...walk home....20 min. nap (who is this girl? she doesn't nap!!)...off to swim with the nieces...and the day isn't complete yet. More to come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was going to say "holy cow" but then I realized that your day was almost like a triathlon, bike, walk run (my first one will be float, bike, walk).

A 40 mile ride with insane hills, sounds intense, but I'm glad that Steve gave you the complement because you were all worried and it sounds like you're doing well :)

Anonymous said...

Great ride, Nancy. I used to dread the climbs when I lived in New England. But now that I'm in Florida, where everything is as flat as a pancake, I really miss those hills.

Glad your training is working out for you!