Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thoughts of the Past Few Days

#1
Lows......why do the come at the most inopportune times?
Like when you have to go to the dentist, and the teeth are all brushed, then you have to eat or drink something in the car before you put the money in the parking meter and have to get your crown put on? Or when you are in the middle of working with a client and everything gets fuzzy, you aren't hearing a word they are saying, and you hope that you aren't screwing up their hair. I have another great one...but I'll keep that one to myself. Let's just say I'm glad I have an understanding husband.
#2
There is a reason I ride alone sometimes. To stay focused on my paticular workout of the day is one...but an even better one is because I want to be in my own head for awhile. Another inopportune time. Why is it when you are in this mode that a perfectly nice woman rides up next to you and proceeds to be a Chatty Cathy Doll?? Really..perfectly nice....but I was not in the mood.
The ride was great though! Not ideal bg's' at the beginning, but here's how it looked:
Took in 10gms and lowered basal rate
11:50AM-325....not sure if I should have gone with this number, but rode anyway
12:32PM-308...encouraged a little that it went down
1:08PM-177...Powergel 27cb.+.5 units...don't know why, just a gut feeling
1:48PM-158..looking good
2:05PM-70...good thing I was done.

Maybe that .5 unit bolus wasn't needed...but hey, trial and error right?

#3
I have been surrounded by new diabetics lately. Unbelievable numbers of them. Most of them Type 2, and one of them has pancreatic cancer. That one gets to me. For obvious reasons. Things in this mans life couldn't be more perfect. Works is going great, kids are great, wife is wonderful. Then...BAM! Healthy person gets pancreatic cancer AND diabetes. Now he going through cancer treatment while trying to learn how to deal with multiple daily injections....not to mention just learn about the disease. I can't even begin to imagine what must be going through this mans head.
I sometimes think I have it hard with this disease, but then this is a huge reality check. Why does someones else's hardship give you a reality check???

No comments: