Monday, April 07, 2008

What Do You Believe?

I’m a NPR junkie. Pretty much the only way I get my news…because of no TV…cable TV that is. They have an ongoing series called “This I Believe”….here’s my take on it.

There are lots of things I believe in. Lots of obvious things…family, friends, health, etc…But I only get involved with things I really believe in. I was at the beginning of the Michigan Humane Society’s Pet Education Center….ok, long name for it, but we taught dog obedience classes. I believed we help keep dogs placed, because we gave all the students the right tools to train. Rewarding and beyond! Why do things have to come to an end? Sadly, like with a lot of non-profits, we had to close the PEC because of money. After 8 or 9 years of volunteering every Tuesday night, it all ended. We made a difference…this I believe.

After my diagnosis, I really didn’t think much about anyone else with the disease. Maybe I had to accept my own diagnosis before I could start to accept others. I guess I feel like I have to be in their shoes. Even though I kind of am already. Every story is different. And just how can I help?? Which always takes me back to Diabetes Training Camp. There was never a more profound experience then the 2 years I went. Every story resonated, and feels so fresh in my mind. It changed so many things for me. I so badly want to be on the other side of it all…to be the one who helps, and supports. Training and motivating fellow diabetics. Too many people walk away from their camp experience with similar feelings….it HAS to be working! It’s the only thing out there we have! Dedication to athletics and diabetes…who knew there would ever be such a niche?? I KNOW the camp helps…this I believe!

I’m in no way comparing dog training to people training….but then again, anyone who knows me well, knows the comparison is used often by me. We gave the tools to our students in dog class to help them succeed at home. To have a normal household without a crazy dog jumping about. Diabetes Training Camp gives the tools to be able to exercise or train for that silly half Ironman, so we can feel like “normal” people, and we won’t be those crazy people jumping about. I hesitate to use the word normal, but not producing any insulin well….that’s just not normal, so I’m using it.

All this I believe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forget what self-help books may say....inspiration doesn't come from within. It comes from watching a once water-timid diabetic conquer a triathalon, only to come out the other side more empowered, more confident and more at peace with herself than she ever thought possible. We make sense of our own lives and our own capacities when we are inspired by others. All we need is one defining moment....preferably with blood sugar in check.

This I believe.