Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Long Cold Winter Finally Comes To An End

Finally the day is here...I never thought it would come...but it looks as if spring is here to stay. After many, many months of snow, no sun, and frigid temperatures I felt the sun on my face and sweat dripping off of it today, as I rode for 2 hours in 55-60 degree sunshine. Ohhhhh how sweet it is! If I could just look past the lack of fitness. I really can't stand it. I trained so hard this winter indoors, but it doesn't compare to being outside. I had no legs to speak of, but I enjoyed every hill climb.....while cursing them...and every flat. Only rode about 30 some miles...pitifully slow for 2 hours. I have to believe that it all will come back at some point...just hope it gets here by August!

My blood sugars were pretty good throughout, considering some of those anaerobic hill climbs. And boy, there are some climbs. I started on the loop that had the most, if not all of them. "Let's hit it hard", I say to myself. Then after that loop...."Who do you think you are??? Big George???" 45 minutes have past, and I'm at the car, and I'm not going to wimp out now. I still have energy for more. I made the executive decision not to do the same. The burn in the legs is still there. I made my way to the path instead of the road...it seemed to have fewer climbs, and less steep. I got to the tunnel that goes to the park across the road and headed out for another 8 miles. I took in half a gel around that time....I really didn't want to bonk. I made it back to the car and tested the bg...127. That 5 second wait on the meter is killer. The anticipation is sometimes unnerving. I want a good blood sugar after a workout, and if it isn't I wrack my brain trying to figure out how it happened. I loved seeing the 127!

Beautiful day. Beautiful ride. What a way to spend a day off!

No comments: