Saturday, October 18, 2008

Shopping Update

So...pump shopping is painfully time consuming! When you buy your first one, deciding isn't hard because your Doc usually suggests one. Mine did. I really didn't know much about Minimed when I went with the 512 model. I knew that they were the biggest and the best at the time, so I just went for it. Waterproofness wasn't a priority at the time, and the features on the Paradigm 512 were just fine for me. Now I know more about the technology and what I really need and want in a pump. Not that they make it yet, but what features best fit my lifestyle....waterproof!!!

A pump, is a pump, is a pump, in my eyes. They all do the same thing. They infuse insulin as much like a pancreas as they can. The only difference would be the features they all have. Food lists, insulin on board, infusion sets, size, easy display...the list can go on. Waterproof is my high priority this time around. There are only 3 models out there saying they are.

The Cozmo pump was the first demo. I went for a swim with it on the first day and was elated at my blood sugars during and after!! Having insulin while swimming is going to be a big plus. I got to the shower after and the screen was filled with water and fog. I seemed to be working still, but I knew it would conk out soon....which it did...FAILURE!!!! I was pretty disappointed and called the rep as soon as I could. She told me that the pump demo's are pretty banged up and that she wasn't surprised. To which I said..."So, everytime I drop it, it may fail in the water?".....to which she says...."It might. But we will replace it overnight at no charge." That's great, but I'm pretty sure mine will get beat up, and don't want to have the inconvenience of getting a new one....probably more then once! She was great and met up with me to give me another. I didn't swim with it because I didn't want to ruin another one. I really did feel bad about that. The other features on it were great. I played around with the "extras", but really felt that I didn't need them. Although I really liked having the Cozmonitor (glucose meter) attached to the pump. No need to worry about carrying my meter with me. I just had to carry the strips. But now the kicker....with the Cozmonitor attached it made the unit very big for me!!! The only clip it has is a case with a clip on it, which makes it even bigger. I'm sure for men this is not a big deal, but to wear this on my hip it sticks out like crazy! I still say it's in the running, but I have my questions about it.

The next trial will be the Omnipod. I'm going to meet up with the rep on Tuesday. I'm skeptical about the size and bulkiness, but really want to give this one a shot. And then after that one...I'm set to meet the rep from Animas to try out the Ping! This one is very promising. They are integrating with Dexcom, which I don't like, but I like the Ping technology!










Ok, that's the update. More to come....

1 comment:

Mike said...

Good luck!!! I hope the trials are going well!!! I love my 722! :) No worries about the waterproofness here no need. I just throw it in my jersey pocket when cycling. Thanks for giving me all the pros and cons when I start looking again.