Saturday, June 23, 2007

The 2nd Last Day


The worlds smallest triathlon happened again! Our run coach, Ray, had his strategy of taping his feet so he wouldn't have to put his shoes on. Graham, his assistant, decided to run the bike portion...he figured he could out run them all and did a pretty good job! Jay wore his helmet in the pool to save time. Veronica(nutrition/medical staff), Michelle(fitness/exercise physiologist), and Carrie(sports psychology) had an awesome team in the relay division. The only coach that didn't cheat was Celeste our fabulous swim coach! Our fearless head coach Nicole wore running shoes for the whole thing...swim and all...and took home the prize! It was a photo finish with Celeste and Jay...quite the sprint! I also heard there was some boxing going on in the pool...by everyone!! Who ever said our staff wasn't competitive??!! I have the pics to prove it!


Only 4-5 us did ours...I think I was first out of the pool....but that didn't mean anything for sure! I think we all laughed more than anything.

The last official all camper gathering was much like last year. Teary eyed for many.....and for our diabetes guru Matt. Is he overwhelmed at our response to him, or to just the overall experience? Maybe both. Campers where calling him a life savior. Clearly we diabetics are not getting the information we need. They, much like me last year, learned things they had never heard before. (A great refresher for me!) And some of them have been living with diabetes for 20+ years. How do we slip through the cracks? Are we too much effort for the physicians we see? Are we really not the typical T1 diabetic? To find a doctor so willing to put the puzzle together with us is a gift. There are so many pieces to it that someone like Matt...AND the amazing staff he put together...have the passion and willingness to sit down and put plans into action with us.

This is the 2nd last day of camp I've experienced...does that make sense?? The first time around was pretty profound, and I feel like this year the feeling is blunted in some way. I expected it to be different for me, and I can't quite put it into words. It took me 5 hours to get to my half way point in my drive home, and I had a lot of time to think. Here are a few thoughts....
Very different group this year..not bad...actually I think good. I saw people gain confidence in their abilities with diabetes and with fitness. I heard..."I haven't rode a bike since I was a kid, and I loved it!" "I'm getting a new bike!" " I'm going to find a yoga class!"
The people were stand out!!! The friendship with my roomie has grown and I'm not letting that go. I need more people like Mari in my life....not to mention her brother Marty. I don't think I've laughed that much in a long time! Insert photo here....Nicole, Mari, Matt, Marty...


I heard more then once that I...yes me....I was an inspiration to the others. Funny....their courage inspired me. They tried things they have never done before and really pushed themselves. With the diabetes and the athletics. You've got to admire that! Anyway...very flattering to have that said to you, and makes me really want to move in that direction. I never really thought that I could inspire others...but I think I found my niche with fellow diabetic athletes!

No comments: