Friday, June 22, 2007

Hittin' It

Hittin hard today! I decided…with great timing…to do all three disciplines today. Up at 6:30 to do a 7:30 swim. Drills, form, drills, form…more of the same, but not in a bad way. Fine tuning if you will! Things are clicking just like last year, but better. I wish I could compare the video from last year to this year. It felt so much better. I’m going to really try not to abandon it this time. I really feel as if I have the drills and knowledge base. Might have to find a Total Immersion class somewhere to help along the way, but much improved!

The lecture before lunch was about basic carb counting and fueling before, during, and after exercise. Jay Hewitt…Ironman, Type1…gave some tips on what he does and what products he uses. Good info there. Then taste testing some foods the girls made for us. YUM!

Off to lunch and time to rest…went back to the hotel to drop some stuff off, and chill. Not much time there…the maid was cleaning the room. Would have liked to lay down for a bit. I’m a diehard…who needs a stinkin rest right??? I made it back, hopped on my bike and hit the road with the group. Maybe 7-8 of us. Nicole(head coach) and Jay were at the helm and led us over to the Rodale Fitness Park. There is a 1 mile paved track for riding, roller blading, running, etc there. Same place as last year. If my memory was serving we were in for some pacelining. Yep…I was right! It went way better for me then last year, which made it even more fun. I just love it when I feel like I’m doing well. No, I’m not competitive at all!!! (Creatively place sarcasm) We had a nice easy ride back for a total of about 17 miles. Felt nice to actually get some time on the bike. I loved the drill work, but was itching to get my legs moving.

The minute of our return our guru Rick Crawford started his lecture. Started out with Team Type 1. Unfortunately no great detail because of a time issue. But we have our returning camper from last year, Andy, that was on the team this year and I got to talk to him a bit. Super nice guy, and wicked on the bike. His words….”It was hard!” Need I say more? The strategy was to put each guy out there for a push for 25 min. or so. And I mean push…all out. And keep rotating teammates until the finish. Lots of planning…lots of strategy. Very cool. Hope to hear more about it. Not one problem with the diabetes among any off them. WOW!

Now last year’s food…not so good right? This year I am apparently the only vegetarian, so the wonderful chef has been cooking me my own meals at night. Last night was a veggie quinoa. Who would have thought he would have known what quinoa was? I mean it’s only the cafeteria at the college. I think I’m getting couscous tomorrow. I’m hungry already!

After dinner, and still without a shower, we went over to the lecture hall for our guest speaker, Will Cross. A type 1 who has successfully summited Everest. Not to mention many, many other climbs. Very inspirational. Amazing story. Tried 2 other times before he succeeded. He had some special NASA material to keep his insulin in to keep it from freezing.

Now I’m toast! Need to go back and sleep! My body needs a can of soda first then my head is hitting the pillow. Lights out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met Will Cross two years ago at a TCOYD seminar in Raleigh. Interesting and super funny guy! Insulin freezing - just count my southern temp adjusted body out!

Looks like everything is going cool, and you are having a great time!! I hope you took some notes during the technical lectures, cause I definetely want to read them! :)

Can't wait to read the next entry!

- T