Monday, February 11, 2008

Chasing The BG's

"Chasing the blood sugars" is a term we diabetics use when you just can't bring them up. No matter how much sugar you eat, drink, and be merry with.....those numbers just want to stay low. I don't know why it happens sometimes, but today I knew. It started with sleeping in and eating breakfast before I drove the lovely Brent to work. The plan was to stop at the gym on my way back from dropping him off. All was good until 1 hour after I ate...that's when it all began.....blood sugars were 70. Not terrible, but not great if I want to run 7 miles in another hour. I ate a bar....22 gm of carbs., (By the way...nothing worse then eating when you don't want to!!), and lowered my basal rate on my pump. That seemed to do the trick....until....I got to the gym and I was still at 70. What the heck!!!??? So now I ate my stash of Skittles from my gym bag and decided to start off with a fast walk on the treadmill, then 10 min. in started to run. Hill work today. Which means intervals...which usually means the blood sugars will go up......which means good for me!! I was feeling a little lack of energy and tested again, and now I'm 68. Besides eating when I don't want, the next thing I hate doing is chucking a workout because of the blood sugars. Hate, hate, hate that!!! So more determined then ever, I head off to the vending machine for Gatorade. The whole bottle is 30 carbs...if memory serves. I chugged down about half and continued on running....all the while sipping on the Gatorade. Next BG check I was 97. Awesome! Finished...but only did 6 miles...I'll try not to beat myself up about that....sometimes the body doesn't agree with the mind.

It boils down to this.....2 reasons for the lows. The first and obvious is too much active insulin. In other words too much with breakfast....write a note to self on that one. That's the easy one....and I can't believe I forgot. I mean, I do this all the time and I still forget the easy stuff! The next and slightly more complicated is the 2 hour ride on my trainer Sunday morning. Yep...that can effect the bg's the next day. I'll have to call the friendly Dr. Matt on that one. I'm going to go longer and longer as the big race approaches and I'll need to figure this stuff out. It can be done and I will do it!!

No comments: