Sunday, June 25, 2006

1st Race of the season

The Motor City Triathlon.....this was the first tri ever on Belle Isle in Detroit. Thank you to my friend Janet who gave my cell number to my friend Matt, I now I have ride...not to mention someone to hang with. Great guy! Calm and cool...which kept me calm and cool. Good vibe!

Can you beleive I swam in the Detroit River?? What the......H E double hockey sticks. COLD! I chose not to wear the wetsuit...I can choke down that cold water for 500 meters..right? And choke it down I did. I got caught behind some slow swimmers and never got into my groove. Then the bouy we were to go around got caught in the current and we all turned before we got to it....what a mess! Wore my stupid sunglasses to the beach...no time to take them back to T1. Stupid! Thanks to my friend Dana who was there to cheer us on, I quickly handed them off to her, and she quickly handed them back in the chute to transition.

T1 was smooth sailing...that's one nice thing about no wetsuit...quick transitions. I had to stuff everything into a small bag because they will transport all our stuff to the finish/T2. I hate 2 transition areas. This race company loves to do that. I'm sure it has more to do with logistics, but I still hate it! Tested my blood sugar...256! Hows that for a short adrenealin rush/effort? Frustrating when you start a race at 110. I decided not to correct...I thought it would come down during the bike...we'll see.

I found legs!!! The bike was flat and fast. I took full advantage of having those legs and cranked it out. My average pace was 20mph. It all felt good so I tried to concentrate on my race and not to the people passing me. Great views of Detroit from the Island...but tried not to look to much...need to concentrate! Flew into T2 with Dana screaming I rode like Lance!:) Great cheerleader! At this point blood sugars came down slightly...210. Better, but......still did nothing. I figured the run was only going to be around 30 min., so by the time the insulin would catch up with me I would be done.

The run was tough. I haven't been running much because of injuries, so this was way slow for me. But only had a few women pass me, and a lot of men. Fell into a groove by the time I hit the trail section of the run. As I was approching the finish there was a women in front of me who was 35.(ages are marked on calf) NO WAY was she going to beat me to the finish! ABSOLUTELY no way!!! So I lit the fires and so did she...she tanked and I passed! She said "great finish" to me at the end...and I said"you're age motivated me"...and she smiled. Whatever works for ya, right? Blood sugars still 200 range. I ate pretzels and pb crackers and lots more water. Gave about half the amount of insulin for all of it.

We waited around for finish times...waited way too long. Matt had to get home, so I felt bad staying. They posted times and we quickly left. I've just checked online for results and here they are....please note where Nancy is! #2 agegroup!!!

2  194 Nancy Eastman  37                     S-13:51  Pace-2:47 
T1-3:05
B-38:05 Pace-19.5
T2-1:38
R-32:54 Pace-10:08 Finish-1:29:32
23rd/74 women

So that's that! I wish I could have had a better showing for the swim and run...but I'll take that 2nd agegroup finish! My best finish to date. Remember this is only the first race...we've got many more to come! Oh, and blood sugars came back down and have been low all day now. Bolusing less for each meal too. Going to lower my basal rate tonight. I'm getting hooked up to a continuous glucose monitor, to test it out, tomorrow. It would have been perfect for today! Hope they let me finance it, if I like it!

No comments: