Saturday, June 17, 2006

Day 4...one more to go

Let's get right into it....wicked hot today! 90 degress!
We were suppose to have 1 1/2hr. run instruction, followed by 1 1/2hr. cycle. Well, we can never seem to leave on time....so you know what that means...they get shortened. We went to Lehigh Valley University campus to run and bike. The run was a bit frustrating because of the heat...and one macho guy got us lost on the cross country course. I had to stop for water and Gatorade. Luckily we had a medical staffer on a mountain bike following us...thanks Gary! We were to be gone 15 min...do drills and such...the 15 min. back. Ended up out for around 25-30 min. Now that small change in timing may not seem a lot to you non-diabetics...but we afflicted people make adjustments with insulin based on a ton of variables...including duration of exercise. So needless to say we were all dropping like flys....our blood sugars I mean. No worries though. Gary had our backs! I rested under a tree with my water while the others went and did something...drills I think. I needed the rest so I could bike. (By the way, ankle has been fine the whole time here! Yea!!!!)

The group that was riding came back from climbing and are now doing an individual time trial. 3 loops...short course...slight hill going out...downhill coming back. Now our group was up....time was short so we didn't get the climbing lesson, but got to do the time trial twice....NICE! Those cornering skills are coming into play now! I can't even remember my times, but at one point I was going 26mph...downhill of course. Great feeling...down in the aeros and drops. Most like pushing in a tri for me. The first time I went out too fast. I think that competitive nature began to take over. The 2nd time was better. I really tried to focus on the skills. I was not as fast but everything felt better. Solid cornering for me. My corners usually look like jello...all over and wobolly. So this is a BIG improvment for me.

Now dinner and the obligatory talk. This time all about advancments in diabetes care and managment. Continuous glucose monitoring, new pumps, new technology in clinical trials...do ya'll want to be bored again? Ok, I won't mention it again...but I want all the new gadgets I can get my hands on! Very cool stuff on the horizon.

Thanks to the great testing team, we all got our actual results of our Vo2 max testing. They even calcualted how many carbs each of us burn per min. of exercise. That will help us all be able to calculate how to replenish those during and after training. Must replenish..if you don't replace those glycogen stores, you are in trouble of not recovering...which leads to poor performance. We can't have that! This testing would have cost me tons of $$$! I think they are doing it for their benefit as well as ours. One women is working on her thesis. All diabetes/athlete stuff.
They singled out a few people with some incredible stats. Rob, who is 60ish, had the highest Vo2 max out of any of us...including the young 18 year old from Isreal. Although he has like 1% body fat which he got the award for. But Nancy...yes me....got the one of the highest Vo2 max among the women. Apparently 50 is more impressive then I thought. Actually with a tiny conversion because this was on the bike and not the treadmill....it seems to be more like 55. That made me very happy! All my work is paying off. Now my training zones will be more accurate. As if I don't have enough numbers to obsess about!

Tomorrow is the mini tri...very mini! All the staff will be participating...at least they say they are...we'll see.

Nighty night all!

No comments: