Friday, June 23, 2006

Final thoughts

I've had a lot of time to think about my "vacation".....and coming back to reality...is just that, reality. Was that the real world I was in for 5 glorious days? An altered sense of the real world maybe, but it was true, and it was honest. For those glorious 5 days I had a chance to meet some amazing people. All with a story. For as much as people say I inspire them, these new friends totally inspired me. Not just with the athletics, but with the kind of people they are. Dedicated, focused, caring and willing to share....which I admit I had a hard time with at first. Feeling...and still feeling...that I don't have "that" story that they all seem to have, I was hesitant to tell how I came to my diagnosis. Which seems like nothing. Just a little blip in my medically challenged world. Still everyone has some kind of tale to tell, don't they? I've never been to any kind of support group, but this was probably close to that. Like minded people, with all the same fears and experiences with diabetes.

Matt is no exception to this. He shared as much as the rest of us...and thank you for taking those 9 units of insulin so early in your career! Is that what makes him so dedicated? The sweating through a hospital bed with a low blood sugar? If that's what did it, then I'm glad you needed the $250 dollars for your rent!

I wonder how the coaching staff came to Stroke, Spin, Stride camp. Truly amazing wealths of knowledge. My head is still spinning with all I learned. My training will be over the top now! They surely didn't know what they were getting into. As one of the non-diabetic staff members...and no names here....we are not handicap! I'm sure that's really what some people think, but we all honestly got a huge laugh out of that comment! They got a crash course in diabetes biology, and the everyday ins and outs of exercising with the disease. Hopefully they all have a different view of the disease and the people with it.

I can't help but go back to how I came to the camp and how I left. Quite a surprise to me. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same, but I'm changed. I hope it lasts. Everytime I feel it slip from my memory I will email my new friends and get some it back.

No comments: